In Kyiv, German FM slams Russia's escalating attacks
Germany's foreign minister on Saturday sharply criticised Russian President Vladimir Putin for stepping up his "brutal war of aggression" in Ukraine and pledged more aid for Kyiv.
Johann Wadephul's comments, during a visit to the Ukrainian capital, came a day after a Russian drone attack on a busy shopping centre in eastern Ukraine killed at least 16 people.
"Russia's brutal war of aggression... has in no way abated," Wadephul told a press conference alongside his Ukrainian counterpart Andriy Sybiga.
"On the contrary, Putin has even increased the intensity of his war. He is deliberately terrorising civilians, attacking civilian infrastructure with rockets and swarms of drones."
Russia has intensified its bombardments of Ukrainian cities, with the UN reporting that the civilian death toll in 2026 has risen to its highest level since the first months of the war.
"I want to emphasise once again here: the people of Ukraine have our full support. Germany stands behind Ukraine," Wadephul said.
He announced an additional 50 million euros ($58 million) in humanitarian aid for Ukraine, which will go to UN agencies and NGOs that focus on supporting people in areas close to the frontlines.
Germany will also pay a further 10 million euros into a NATO fund that provides financing to bolster Ukraine's energy networks and systems for defending against drones, Wadephul said.
Ukraine has been appealing for its allies to help boost its air defences. In particular, it is suffering from shortages of Patriot interceptors since the United States went to war with Iran in February, diverting supplies of the systems.
Wadephul said he had been holding talks with with European countries on this issue, and planned to discuss it with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio next week.
In talks with his US counterpart, he would also address stalled efforts towards ending the war, which started in 2022.
Wadephul said he was counting on “the United States to remain willing to play an active role here".
Sybiga said peace efforts were "currently on hold", adding: "We need more active involvement from the American side."
"Without the US, it is unrealistic to achieve progress or a just peace in this situation.
Latest stories
Sport F1/GP des Pays-Bas: Russell enlève le sprint et Mercedes creuse l'écart au Championnat
Le Britannique George Russell a remporté samedi la course sprint du Grand Prix de F1 des Pays-Bas sur le circuit de Zandvoort, permettant à son écurie Mercedes de creuser...
France La Ville de Paris annonce "la mise à l'abri" de 253 personnes d'un campement
La Ville de Paris a annoncé samedi "la mise à l'abri de l'ensemble des 253 personnes", des migrants essentiellement, "installées devant la mairie de Paris Centre", suite à "l'évacuation forcée" par l'État...
Monde Attaque à l'épée en Suède: la personne décédée est une élève de 17 ans
La victime décédée lors de l'attaque à l'épée dans un lycée de Fagersta dans le centre de la Suède, est une élève de 17 ans...