Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone said striker Julian Alvarez would return to the squad for Sunday's La Liga clash against Villarreal.
The Argentina international wanted to leave the club this summer but Atletico refused to sell him despite bids from Barcelona and Real Madrid.
Alvarez, still finding fitness after his post-World Cup holiday, was not involved in Atletico's opening victory over Malaga on Wednesday.
"Yes, he's going to be included in the squad list tomorrow and he's doing better," Simeone told reporters Saturday.
"Obviously, he's still getting up to speed, like all his teammates."
Atletico fans are expected to jeer Alvarez for his attempts to leave the club, with some fans singing insulting chants about the striker against Malaga.
Simeone said the fans should be respected when asked about it previously, but reiterated that he still views Alvarez as a key player and does not agree with the criticism himself.
"Obviously I don't share in any insults or slights. Let that be absolutely clear," said the coach.
"Julian is a hugely important player for achieving the goals we have as a team. We need him, we're going to look after him.
"That's from a sporting standpoint, and we're going to stand by him. Why? Because he's our player, and as long as there are players at Atletico Madrid who are mine, I'm going to look after them."
Barcelona coach Hansi Flick, asked repeatedly on Saturday about whether the Spanish champions had given up their pursuit of Alvarez, said he would not speak about players from other clubs.
Latest stories
European Edition In Kyiv, German FM slams Russia's escalating attacks
Germany's foreign minister on Saturday sharply criticised Russian President Vladimir Putin for stepping up his "brutal war of aggression" in Ukraine and pledged...
Sports Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Mercedes driver George Russell powered to victory in the Dutch Grand Prix sprint race Saturday, making the most of his pole position to claw back some ground on teammate...
Africa Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
Jihadists kidnapped and killed scores of people in an attack during Friday prayers in central Nigeria's Niger state, survivors and lawmakers told AFP Saturday, though some were able to escape...