Latest developments in US-Iran war
US President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman if it obstructed a deal with Iran over the Strait of Hormuz, as a vessel transiting the strategic waterway reported being struck by a projectile on Tuesday.
An "unknown projectile" struck a vessel transiting the Strait of Hormuz causing a crew casualty, British maritime agency UKMTO reported on Tuesday.
"The impact caused damage to the engine room and resulted in a crew casualty," the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations said on X.
"The remaining crew are currently being assisted by the Omani Coast Guard," the agency said.
Iran has imposed an effective blockade of the strait, frequently attacking commercial ships, and wants to charge users for passage, which the US fiercely opposes.
An explosion at a petroleum products depot in eastern Iraqi Kurdistan injured 18 people, Kurdish media outlet Rudaw reported Tuesday, without specifying the cause of the blast.
Hirsh Salim, deputy director general of health in Sulaimaniyah governorate, told the outlet that there were no fatalities.
Trump's envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner said that the United States and Iran were having "very positive and active conversations," while noting that "there's really not a lot of trust between America and Iran after all these years".
Kushner told Fox News that "President Trump is going to be very patient... he doesn't want to rush to a deal."
"He'll make the right deal when the right deal is ready," he added.
Earlier on Monday, Trump said Iranian officials "want to make a deal, but they're not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary," before repeating his key demand that "Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon."
Trump threatened to bomb Oman if it "gets in the way" of a US deal with Tehran on the Strait of Hormuz, the key waterway for Gulf exports, and called for Iran to surrender.
"If Oman gets in the way, we'll bomb the shit out of them," Trump told Fox News on Monday, referring to ongoing talks between Oman and Iran on control of the strait, while Washington is also pursuing its own talks.
Tehran and Muscat have been talking for weeks on future maritime navigation arrangements through the shipping route, and the foreign ministry in Tehran said earlier Monday that the two sides were working on a joint declaration.
Iraq's federal government said on Monday it would launch an investigation into an attack on the office of the autonomous Kurdistan region's prime minister, which the regional authorities blamed on Iran.
Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi condemned the attack and called on Iran's "Kurdish friends" to be "vigilant against false flags".
Earlier, Iraqi Kurdish Prime Minister Masrour Barzani said that an investigation by the region's counter-terrorism unit found that his "personal office and the home of the head of the Security and Intelligence Agency were targeted by Iranian drone attacks".
There were no reported casualties in the attack.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Monday that a 60-day deadline for negotiations included in June's memorandum of understanding was "irrelevant" because the US had violated the deal early on.
"We did not begin any negotiations because, a few weeks after the signing, widespread violations of the agreement began, thereby rendering the 60-day provision irrelevant."
Yemen's Houthi rebels said Monday they had targeted a Saudi military vessel and four accompanying boats in the Red Sea, as part of their maritime blockade of Saudi Arabia.
Yahya Saree, military spokesperson for the Iran-backed Houthis, said they had "succeeded in targeting a military landing ship belonging to the Saudi enemy, accompanied by four military patrol boats, in the Red Sea off the coast of Mokha, using several ballistic missiles".
The Houthis have been at war with Saudi Arabia since it intervened in Yemen's civil war in 2015, but a ceasefire had been in place since 2022. It broke down last month as Yemen was sucked into the wider Middle East war.
The UN rights chief voiced alarm Monday at the rising civilian toll of escalating hostilities in Yemen.
"I call on all parties to de-escalate tensions and spare the Yemeni people from further misery. The Yemeni people have already suffered way too much from the devastating legacy of years of conflict, displacement and humanitarian crisis", Volker Turk said.
Latest stories
Topthemen Erdbeben in Kolumbien: Shakira verspricht Hilfe beim Wiederaufbau von Schulen
Die kolumbianische Sängerin Shakira unterstützt den Wiederaufbau in der Erdbebenregion in ihrem Heimatland. Der Superstar reiste am Montag in die Region Chocó und besuchte zusammen mit dem US-Milliardär Howard Buffett mehrere bei dem Beben zerstörte Schulen. Sie habe Spenden in Höhe von einer Million Dollar (gut 860.000 Euro) gesammelt...
Sports Zverev beim Masters in Cincinnati im Achtelfinale
Ein nervenstarker Alexander Zverev hat beim ATP-Masters in Cincinnati das Achtelfinale erreicht. Der French-Open-Sieger und Wimbledon-Finalist rang in der dritten Runde den Franzosen Terence Atmane mit 7:6 (7:4), 7:6 (8:6) nieder. Als Nächstes trifft der in Abwesenheit der verletzten Jannik Sinner...
Sports 19 Jahre nach ALS-Diagnose: Ex-NFL-Champion Brigance verstorben
Der frühere Super-Bowl-Champion O.J. Brigance ist 19 Jahre nach seiner ALS-Diagnose verstorben. Das teilten die Baltimore Ravens aus der National Football League mit, mit denen der ehemalige Linebacker in der Saison 2000/01 den Titel gewonnen hatte. Brigance wurde nur 56 Jahre alt, er lebte...