France probes Russian disinfo campaign against centrist candidates
French prosecutors have opened a probe into a suspected Russian disinformation campaign targeting centrist candidates in next year's presidential elections, the office of the Paris prosecutor said on Tuesday.
The French government is deeply wary of the risk in the 2027 polls of Russian interference aiming to put a more Kremlin-friendly candidate in the Elysee against the background of the war against Ukraine.
Prosecutors are probing deepfakes and fake video reports posted on social media targeting the main two centrist candidates -- the former prime ministers Edouard Philippe and Gabriel Attal, the office of the Paris prosecutor told AFP.
It had already opened a probe into a disinformation campaign against left-wing politician Raphael Glucksmann who has yet to formally declare but is widely expected to stand.
The fabricated content appeared on X in posts impersonating legitimate French media outlets and falsely claimed that Attal had Parkinson's disease and that Philippe had contracted an illness.
Glucksmann was meanwhile targeted through false information about his partner, the star news anchor Lea Salame who presents the main evening news programme on France 2 TV.
A security source, asking not to be named, said these operations have remained low-profile for now. But they are the first since the start of the campaign to directly target contenders for the Elysee.
The move by prosecutors "demonstrates that judicial authorities are taking seriously the gravity of these digital interference tactics and the need to protect the integrity of the democratic debate they seek to distort," Attal's legal team said Tuesday.
"It is fundamental to state this simple fact: we cannot allow Vladimir Putin's Russia to manipulate the 2027 presidential election -- an election that is existential for the French people," said Glucksmann.
France's Viginum watchdog attributed the campaign targeting Attal with a "high degree of confidence" to the pro-Russian "Matryoshka" network.
A security source said another Russian-linked propaganda network, Storm-1516, was behind the campaigns targeting Glucksmann and Philippe.
Latest stories
Mundo Trump y la Casa Blanca atacan a una periodista de CNN por su pregunta sobre una asistente
Donald Trump y el equipo de la Casa Blanca arremetieron contra una periodista de CNN luego de que preguntara sobre la relación del...
Montevideo Roglic participará en la Vuelta pese a su accidente reciente
El ciclista esloveno Primoz Roglic estará en la salida de la Vuelta a España este sábado en Mónaco, menos de un mes después de haber sido golpeado por un coche durante un entrenamiento...
Mundo Trump amenaza a Omán con bombardearlo si cierra acuerdo con Irán sobre el paso de Ormuz
El presidente estadounidense, Donald Trump, amenazó el lunes con bombardear Omán si "se interpone" en el camino de un acuerdo de Washington con Irán sobre la administración del estrecho de Ormuz, e instó a Teherán...