Sports

'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs

Published on August 23, 2026 at 16:44

Alex Lanier's victory in the men's singles meant a double celebration for France after the mixed doubles team also took gold at the world championships in New Delhi — Sajjad HUSSAIN / AFP
South Korea’s An Se-young took 49 minutes to beat Japan's Akane Yamaguchi in the final of the women's singles at the world badminton championships — Sajjad HUSSAIN / AFP
Alex Lanier's victory in the men's singles meant a double celebration for France after the mixed doubles team also took gold at the world championships in New Delhi — Sajjad HUSSAIN / AFP

Alex Lanier on Sunday became the first singles badminton player from France to clinch the world championship title, moments after the French took gold in the mixed doubles.

In the women's final, South Korea's world number one An Se-young beat Japan's Akane Yamaguchi 21-17, 21-14 for her second world crown.

But it was history for French badminton, after the 21-year-old Lanier beat Japan's Kodai Naraoka 21-11, 21-11 in a lop-sided men's final at New Delhi's Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium.

World number 10 Lanier smashed the winner as he jumped in delight and hugged his coach before standing on the podium for his gold medal.

"I think definitely today was a day for French badminton and it was a day for the whole staff also," Lanier said after the triumph.

"Today it was a day for France, and when the mixed won, everyone was happy, and I just thought that I needed to give them a double smile, double moments, and I needed to make history again."

The finalists went toe-to-toe until the mid-game interval of the opening game with 2025 European champion Lanier leading 11-9.

The brawny Lanier, whose parents are professional sailors, then hit the gas to open the gap and take the opener in 23 minutes with a lethal combination of attack and defence.

"I showed to Kodai that I could play that speed, and also I could play that long for like two hours or even more," said Lanier.

"I mean, I was definitely ready. Now I feel sore and tired but on court I felt more energised, and I trusted my fitness."

Lanier kept up the momentum in the second game to take five straight points in a 8-3 lead.

World number 11 Naraoka fought back with his power game but soon lost steam to a fitter and inspired Lanier, who beat world number two Kunlavut Vitidsarn and Victor Lai en route to the final.

The women's title clash was much closer with last year's winner Yamaguchi giving it her all in a fast-paced battle between number one and two.

Yamaguchi's returns and jump smashes entertained a large Sunday crowd, but An had answers to everything with her attacking and baseline play.

Reigning Olympic champion An, who won her previous world title in 2023, secured the win in 49 minutes and let out a scream and raised her hands to celebrate.

"There were lot of fans supporting me and that keeps me going and gives me energy," said An, who came into the tournament pulling out of last month's Japan Open with a foot injury.

Yamaguchi, with a silver, became the first women's singles player to claim six medals at the showpiece event.

Earlier in the mixed doubles, French pair of Thom Gicquel and Delphine Delrue beat Chinese top seeds Feng Yan Zhe and Huang Dong Ping 22-20 19-21 21-15 to get a first-ever world championship gold for France.

In women's doubles final, South Korea's Baek Ha-na and Lee So-hee beat the top-ranked Chinese pair of Liu Shengshu and Tan Ning 21-15, 21-15.

Chinese pair of Lian Wekeng and Wang Chang served past Aaron Chia and Soh Wooi Yik of Malaysia 21-17, 21-16 to clinch the men's doubles title.

Latest stories

Wirtschaft Trumps Zölle und Kanadas Gegenzölle: Handelsstreit zwischen USA und Kanada eskaliert

Nach dem Scheitern tagelanger Verhandlungen eskaliert der Zollstreit zwischen den wirtschaftlich eng verflochtenen Nachbarn USA und Kanada: Nachdem in der Nacht zum Samstag neue US-Zölle auf kanadische Produkte in Kraft getreten waren, warf Kanadas Premierminister Mark Carney US-Präsident Donald Trump vor, einen Handelskrieg losgetreten zu haben. Carney kündigte Vergeltungszölle an, worauf Trump am Sonntag erbost...

23 Aug. 2026 — vor 17 minutes

Topthemen Selenskyj warnt vor Spaltung der Ukraine durch Wahlen im Krieg

Der ukrainische Präsident Wolodymyr Selenskyj hat Wahlen während des Krieges mit Russland als Gefahr für sein Land zurückgewiesen und einen entsprechenden Vorstoß seines früheren Verteidigungsministers Mychailo Fedorow scharf zurückgewiesen. Eine Abstimmung sei ein "Tsunami für das Land, der die Ukraine spalten wird", sagte Selenskyj in am Sonntag veröffentlichten Äußerungen vor...

23 Aug. 2026 — vor 20 minutes