Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
Left-arm spinner Manav Suthar finished with a haul of 10 wickets as India thrashed Sri Lanka by 165 runs in the first Test in Galle on Wednesday to take a 1-0 lead in the two-match series.
Suthar, playing only his second Test, impressed with his line and length to ensure India a memorable win in their 600th Test match.
Suthar took four wickets in the first innings and kept up the fine show to take 6-55, helping bowl out the hosts for 206 shortly after lunch on the final day.
Set a target of 372 runs, Sri Lanka's batters failed to apply themselves other than Sonal Dinusha, who top-scored in both the innings.
Indian captain Shubman Gill called the victory "very satisfying".
"We were in a comfortable position, but were not sure if the match would go on (because of the weather), but the team responded well," he said.
Gill also praised Suthar and the batsmen for their effort on a wicket that was not easy to score runs off.
"He (Suthar) has been bowling magnificently. Looks like a very promising guy and someone who can play for India for a long time," he said.
India claimed two wickets in the morning session after Sri Lanka resumed on an overnight score of 84-4 and then quickly ran through the tail.
Captain Dhananjaya de Silva (59) and first innings centurion Dinusha tried to fight back, batting for over two hours to add 95 runs for the fifth wicket.
De Silva, who had been dismissed off a no ball early in his innings, looked set to make the most of the reprieve, posting his 20th half-century.
But his knock ended after he attempted a sweep shot off Ravindra Jadeja and was caught at short fine leg by Suthar.
"It was not easy (batting fourth in Galle)," said de Silva.
"They won the toss, got the runs on the board, and with our batting, we lost wickets and it went downhill from there."
Wicketkeeper Niroshan Dickwella posted a half-century in the first innings but couldn't make an impact in the second.
Dickwella fell for 10 when he attempted to hit Prasidh Krishna over the slips but ended up edging one to the wicketkeeper.
Suthar triggered a late-order collapse with a triple-wicket maiden after lunch and then in his next over claimed the last wicket of Keshara Nuwantha as Sri Lanka folded 36 minutes after lunch.
The last four wickets fell for seven runs with Suthar claiming all four.
The 25-year-old Dinusha (84) put up a solid effort despite little support from his teammates.
Playing his fourth Test, he showcased maturity beyond his age, taking on India's spinners with nimble footwork.
He was dismissed when Dhruv Jurel at leg slip took a bat-pad catch. He faced 128 deliveries during his defiant knock and hit eight fours and one six.
Apart from Suthar, the other stand out performer for India was top-order batter Devdutt Padikkal, who posted 167 and 44 in the game, having come in as a late injury replacement.
"The wicket had its natural wear and tear (but) it was a good Test wicket," Padikkal said.
"Turned a lot more from the third day onwards. In the end, it was all about who came out on top with their skill-set."
The teams now head to Colombo for the second Test match starting on Sunday.
Latest stories
Sports Ab 2028: Rückraumspieler Briet kommt nach Magdeburg
Der deutsche Handball-Meister SC Magdeburg plant den Kader der Zukunft und hat den französischen Nationalspieler Thibaud Briet (26) verpflichtet. Wie der Verein am Mittwoch mitteilte, wird der Rückraumspieler zur Saison 2028/29 an die Elbe wechseln. Briet kommt dann vom französischen Erstligisten...
Deutschland Krankhaftes Horten von Tieren: Untersuchung findet 343 Fälle in Jahr 2023
Das krankhafte Sammeln von Tieren, sogenanntes Animal Hoarding, ist einer Untersuchung zufolge in Deutschland wohl weiter verbreitet als bislang angenommen. Wie der Deutsche Tierschutzbund am Mittwoch in Bonn mitteilte, wurden im Jahr 2023 bundesweit 343 Fälle gemeldet. Durchschnittlich seien dabei 47,5 Tiere pro Fall betroffen gewesen...
Sports Medien: Hadjar fällt für Zandvoort aus - Tsunoda vor Comeback
Red-Bull-Pilot Isack Hadjar kann beim Großen Preis der Niederlande offenbar nicht an den Start gehen. Wie mehrere niederländische Medien und Sky Sports UK am Mittwochmorgen berichteten, fällt der Teamkollege von Max Verstappen mit einer Handgelenksverletzung für das Rennwochenende in Zandvoort aus...