UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
New British Prime Minister Andy Burnham on Tuesday confirmed he had exchanged messages with someone pretending to be US President Donald Trump's chief of staff.
Burnham sent a "few messages" via an unspecified communication channel to a person he believed to be the top aide, Susie Wiles, before becoming suspicious, Politico reported on Monday.
But addressing the hoax while on a visit to the central English city of Wolverhampton, Burnham said nothing sensitive had been discussed in the messages.
Asked if he was embarrassed at being taken in, he said: "No, I'm not, because there was a minimal exchange. Nothing of consequence, and actually, quickly I realised that this needed to be reported, and I did so.
"So I handled it in the right way. All politicians are receiving these pressures and these challenges, but I did everything right," he told broadcasters.
"The correct action has been taken here and in the US," he added.
The incident was deemed serious enough for the British embassy in Washington to raise the matter with the White House, according to two sources cited by Politico.
Neither the date nor the content of the exchanges is known.
Burnham succeeded former Labour Party leader Keir Starmer as prime minister on July 20.
Latest stories
Weltgeschehen OpenAI stellt ChatGPT-Version für Jugendliche vor
Nach öffentlicher Kritik und Klagen hat das US-Unternehmen OpenAI eine Version seines vielgenutzten KI-Chatbots ChatGPT mit stärkeren Schutzmaßnahmen für Jugendliche vorgestellt. Die Einstellungen der am Dienstag präsentierten Version ChatGPT for Teens werden den Angaben zufolge automatisch für alle Nutzer aktiviert, die laut Registrierung zwischen 13 und 17 Jahren alt sind oder die...
Deutschland Waldbrände: Richterbund lehnt Strafverschärfungen ab
Der Deutsche Richterbund (DRB) lehnt höhere Strafen für Brandstiftung ab, die angesichts von Waldbränden gefordert wurden. "Der reflexhafte Ruf nach Strafverschärfungen für Fälle von Brandstiftung erscheint mindestens verfrüht, solange die Ursachen und Umstände der Waldbrände noch nicht aufgeklärt sind", sagte DRB-Bundesgeschäftsführer Sven Rebehn am Dienstag der Nachrichtenagentur AFP. "Das...
Weltgeschehen Drei Leichtverletzte bei erneutem Erdbeben im südspanischen Granada
Drei Tage nach einem Erdbeben der Stärke 5,0 hat in der bei Touristen beliebten südspanischen Stadt Granada schon wieder die Erde gebebt: Der Erdstoß der Stärke 4,8 ereignete sich nach Angaben des spanischen Geografieinstituts am Dienstag gegen 10.48 Uhr, das Zentrum des...